Each Little Jewels child development center maintains clean and hazard-free facilities. We are always watching out for the health and safety of the children. Please review the following guidelines of our sick policy.
Sick Policy Guidelines
If your child has a temperature of 100 degrees or higher, he/she must remain out of the Center until fever-free for 24 hours (That means his/her temperature must be at the normal level of 98.6 without a fever reducer in their system).*
If your child has 2 cases of loose bowels in one day, he/she must be picked up and will not be allowed to return to the center until he/she is symptom free for 24 hours.
If your child has 1 case of vomiting, they may be sent home at the discretion of the director. Children will be sent home if they vomit 2 times within one day. Children will be able to return after they are symptom free for 24 hours.
If your child has pink eye, he/she must be treated with medication for 24 hours before returning to the center. Please make sure you bring in the medicine the next day so we can continue to administer the medicine as needed.
If your child has strep throat, he/she must have medication in their system for 24 hours before returning to the center. Upon returning to the center, please bring in the medicine so we can continue to administer the medicine as needed.
If your child has RSV or Croup, he/she must stay home for 2 full days (48 hours from diagnosis) before returning to the center. Upon returning to the center, please bring in any medicine so we can continue to administer the medication as needed.
If your child has lice (nits), he/she can return to the center the next day, after he/she has been treated with lice shampoo. BEFORE going to his/her room they must be checked by an office staff member to confirm all nits and lice are removed. The child will then need to be treated, and checked, again in two weeks time to ensure the problem has been resolved.
Hand, Foot, and Mouth
If your child has blisters on their hands, feet or mouth they will need to be picked up and seen by a doctor for a diagnosis. The child may return to the center when he/she has been fever free for 48 hours and all blisters are scabbed over or healed.
If your child has to get shots that may produce a fever for up to 10 days, please have a doctor’s note stating that your child is not contagious and may return to the center. If we do not have the doctor’s note and your child produces a fever of 101 or higher your child will be sent home and cannot return to the center until they are fever free for 24 hours.
If your child is diagnosed with COVID-19, they may not return until to the center until ALL three of the following are met:
- Your child is symptom free for 24 hours (That means his/her temperature must be at the normal level of 98.6 without a fever reducer in their system)
- It has been at least 5 days since their positive test date. They may return on day 6.
If your child has symptoms of COVID-19 and it is determined by a medical provider that your child does not have a COVID-19 infection, they can return when the following is met:
- No fever for 24 hours (That means his/her temperature must be at the normal level of 98.6 without a fever reducer in their system) and
- A negative COVID-19 test or;
- A note from a medical provider documenting no suspicion of a COVID-19 infection.
Please see our parent handbook for a complete list of our sick policies.
- Your child’s doctor may indicate a different policy regarding illness, we ask that you respect and follow the policy set by Little Jewels Learning Center for the safety and health of all children in our care.
- Per DCFS Section 407.310, Health Requirements for Children, children must be excluded from care if your child has an “illness that prevents the child from participating comfortably in program activities”.